Criminal Convictions Insurance: Insuring for the Future

Insurance matters when preparing for prison

Before starting a prison sentence it is essential to have your insurance requirements examined in detail. You may be leaving a family behind or an empty property which still requires cover. It is therefore advisable that you contact a specialist insurance company able to provide expert advice on all your insurance needs. For example, your car insurance may need to be transferred into a partner’s name whilst ownership remains in yours. In the case of household insurance it is possible to obtain cover even when it’s unoccupied.

Insurance matters for those in prison & their families

Motor insurance policies for those with a criminal conviction also need to be extended to cover those individuals on Temporary Licence. The insured vehicle is normally kept on prison grounds and is used for commuting to the designated place of work; therefore it is necessary to find an insurance company that offers a full breakdown/ recovery and at home (prison) service to ensure safe return.

You also need to find an insurance firm that guarantees a full claims service and legal protection for motor, home and commercial. Therefore should there be a crisis at home, for example with a burst pipe, a simple call will ease the burden on your family, and one of the firm’s fully trained staff would be available to handle your claim.

Insurance matters when preparing for release from prison

Depending on the length of your sentence you may find that the no claims bonus will have expired, as most insurers have a validity of only 2-3 years. You need to find a firm where your no claims discount will never expire and where people disclosing any criminal conviction will not be penalised by their insurer panel. Also one where you might be pleasantly surprised with the rates offered; even to the point of a more competitive premium being offered than you were paying before entering prison.

If you have a criminal conviction and are looking for insurance and need advice on the above matters, please contact us by phone or email, or by filling out our contact form.